Wednesday 3 April 2013

Quotation #4


"The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away." Chapter 5, pg. 82

This quote in the story was at the pre-climax, when Jack was on the steps to becoming the island dictator. This line was symbolic after it was given to text when the conch was crushed, and Piggy had died.  This line showed, that the beginning of all that happened on the island, everything was fine, there was a plan, there was a mission, there was law and there was order, everyone knew what they were to do, and it didn't matter if they did it or not, all that mattered was if it had been clear that the objective is to get home. But then we were introduced to Jack's changes, and his savagery, and aggressive behavior towards living things. After many of his endeavors  Jack and his followers, started to twist the order on the island, and as soon as Jack started to kill people, his objective, the "islands" objective changed to "Start a civilization here, where there are no leaders to stop you, and become the leader of your island". This though misted out the fact of getting home, and introduced fear of being killed, and at all times plotting to kill/or bring peace amongst each other. 

A connection I could make to this quote was from the Harry Potter series when Dumbledore had died. As Dumbledore was living, society was established, Hogwarts was being run properly and there were laws and rules in place. But after his death, the enemy came and started to run Hogwarts as if it was a boot camp, and illegal spells were taught with no rules or laws to stop them.

Another connection I can make was from my experience as a pre-teen. This was when I my brothers were 7 and 2. My parents had gone out to do some shopping and they asked to take care of them, and everything was going great, they had lunch, they were clean, and they were tired. So, I put them to sleep, and started with my homework. Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door, which startled me, as it was only half an hour since my parents left. So I looked out the window and saw no cars. So I didn’t know what to do, but I came downstairs and looked, to my surprise I had seen my parent’s family friends. They came with their 7 year old child, and I told them that my parents were out to go shopping, and as soon as they heard that they told me to wait here with their son, as the go to the shopping mall to my parents, without even knowing that my brothers were home too!

So I told the boy to just watch television, while I did my homework. But as soon as I got upstairs, BOOM, the sound of the television was so loud, and when I heard shrieks from my brothers’ bedroom I knew I was in trouble. They woke up kicking each other and ran downstairs crying, and since they were asleep, they forgot that mom and dad were gone so they started crying. I tried stopping them, but in front of the door, was the boy, and seeing them crying, he began to cry as well. So I called my parents because I knew I had lost control of the situation, and I needed help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews